March 27, 2012

The Practice of the Presence of God

Ever find yourself wondering exactly what to do with this mess of a world we live in? Politics are disintegrating more and more every day, the economy has less stability than quicksand, and morals are almost forgotten. Representing the name of Christ under these circumstances can be a daunting endeavor.

During my quiet time yesterday, I was pondering the overwhelming burden of maintaining spiritual purity and striving towards becoming more like Christ when the world around us seeks to squeeze the life out of us. Over the last ten years, the world has exploded with corruption on every level of morals, dragging standards down with politically correct terms, attempting to mask and justify their horrifying sins. Our uphill battle for Christ has grown exponentially steeper.

Many Christians have been forced to retreat to the basics. 

The weaker believers are crumbling under the intense pressure and others are wondering how to protect themselves from the same dilemma. Although I have grown up as a Christian, I myself find it hard to keep from becoming weary. Through the thick fog of putrid darkness that surrounds me in this worldly place, I glimpsed a flicker of light and tasted the beginnings of a new strength. 

"The Practice of the Presence of God" was written by Brother Lawrence, a 17th century French monk who discovered the simple answer to a complex world. After becoming a Christian, Brother Lawrence explains that he made a decision to 'practice the presence of God' every moment of every day. This is not something that comes instantly; one has to work at it. Yet he testifies to the incredible fullness of joy and peace he experienced walking through every moment of life in the knowledge of the presence of his Savior. He fell in love with the One who Created him.

The concept is so brilliantly simple that I was stunned.

When you love someone wholeheartedly, you will gladly give whatever it takes to be with them. You will do anything to prove your love and for your Love. You delight in every moment spent in fellowship with that person and nothing can spoil your joy. No challenge is too hard, no trial too difficult if it means being with the one who has your heart. Devotion comes naturally. Love, in it's purest form, is abundantly fulfilling.

How does one fall in love with another? Common interests, time spent together, and a deeper knowledge of that person.

Who more perfect to fall in love with than the only perfect being in existence?

1 John 4:19 says "We love Him because He first loved us." We don't have to get God's attention, we don't have to look beautiful, we don't have to stand out, we don't have to 'make' him love us. He loved us first.
He wants us to spend time with Him and get to know Him better. He wants nothing but our love because out of love, everything else comes naturally; obedience, service, loving others, etc.
Instead of worrying about the security of the government or the state of the world's morals, Brother Lawrence focused only on his love for God. He talked continually to God in his heart and worked to maintain a constant awareness of God's presence. As a result of the relationship, he began to live life entirely on faith.

What does it mean to practice the presence of God?

Brother Lawrence states simply; "My day-to-day life consists of giving God my simple, loving attention. If I'm distracted, He calls me back in tons that are supernaturally beautiful."

He expresses the fullness of his joy in this way: "Although I beg Him to do whatever He wishes with me, He does nothing but caress me. This is what being in His presence is like."

I think I have finally found my answer.

Forgetting shattered dreams and old wounds, setting aside all fears and concerns for future plans, my goal in life now is simply to practice the presence of God. I'm taking my relationship with my Lord and King to the deepest possible level.

In the words of Brother Lawrence, "I'm not anxious about my purpose in life, because I only want to do God's will."

If I'm going to spend eternity with the one who gave me that gift, I'm going to make the most of my time here on earth getting to know my Love. I encourage you to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Rebekah, what can I say? My heart is filled with joy to know that you, my daughter, understand a truth that will get you not only safely, but joyfully through the next 60 years of life? You understand some truths that many adults never grasp. I am indelibly impressed and touched by the intelligence of your mind and the purity of your heart and motive.s

    Yes, I'm mom...but still I believe I would feel the same way. You almost made me cry..this touched me so much.

    Love you dearly,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete